This is apparently a straightforward proposal from a supposedly “free” country:
The UK’s tax collection agency is putting forth a proposal that all employers send employee paychecks to the government, after which the government would deduct what it deems as the appropriate tax and pay the employees by bank transfer.
Of course, this presupposes:
- all money belongs to government
- all taxpayers are cheats who are keeping the government from all the money they are owed
- only government can understand what part of your money you actually need
- increasing taxes will be very simple with this system
- you are a groveling peasant who owes your very existence to the state
Would anybody please explain how this is much different from communism? Shoot – even Cuba is cutting people off the government payrolls. But this supposedly “free” “Western” “free market” country could actually propose this as any action government would be allowed to perform?
Well Britain has been circling the drain for a long time, if they actually do this you can simply write them off as lost to civilization.